Someecards.com is a great resource when you need a break from the seriousness of your day or a good laugh. Memes like “Nothing makes me appreciate a night out at a nice restaurant like my own cooking,” are easy to find. One of their most recent articles though, I found very inspiring.
The article listed 20 quotes shared by reddit users that permanently changed their lives:
1. “Let go or be dragged.” - This one is a good reminder to let go of those things you have no control over or that are weighing you down.
2. “You might be the sweetest peach on the tree, but some people just don’t like peaches.” – A good reminder that you can’t please everyone.
3. "I've had a lot of worries in my life. Most of which never happened." – This quote by Mark Twain is one of my favorites. This reminds us that worrying doesn’t change anything. It’s just negative energy.
4. “Living in the future is anxiety, living in the past is depression.” – A good reminder to be present.
5. "You don't notice your progress in life because you are always raising the bar." – It’s important to recognize your successes. You are often your own worst critic.
6. "And now that you don't have to be perfect, you can be good.” – A result of number five!
7. “Worrying only means you suffer twice." – When I find myself worried, I try to envision myself in the situation I’m worried about, figure out a solution, and move on. Worrying more will not change anything other than how you feel.
8. “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” – This one has a lot to do with emotional intelligence. It’s the ability to see how other people feel or think without necessarily agreeing with it.
9. “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – I had to think about this one for a minute, but it’s similar to “hindsight is 20/20.” You can’t change the past, but you can move forward and do the right thing now.
10. “"Do you listen or just wait to speak?” – This might be my favorite quote in the list. In my last blog, The Value of Quiet People, I talk about how sometimes it’s better to just listen.
11. “Graveyards are full of irreplaceable people”. – A great reminder that everyone is replaceable. That doesn’t mean you are not valued. It means to keep your balance and perspective.
12. “It’s easy to fool someone, it’s hard to convince them that they’ve been fooled.” – I’m still pondering this one…
13. "One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” – I think this one explains number 12.
14. "Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm." – This is a newer version of “don’t cut off your nose to spite your face” or “Don’t rob Peter to pay Paul.”
15. “When people show you who they are, believe them.” – This quote from Maya Angelou has been a long time favorite of mine. I think many of us have learned this lesson the hard way.
16. “Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’” – Never give up. The most successful people failed before they realized their successes.
17. "The bee doesn't waste its time trying to convince the fly that honey is better than $#!*." – A good reminder to move on and realize when you won’t win the battle. Remember that quitting and moving on are very different.
18. "That mountain you've been carrying, you were only supposed to climb." – Another reminder to move on and not dwell on things or be consumed with worry.
19. “How old will you be in four years if you don't get your degree? You are going to be 40 anyway with or without your degree.” – This was a response by Dear Abby to a reader thinking about going back to school at the age of 40 and worried she would be too old when she graduates.
20. “The axe forgets; the tree remembers.” – Be kind.
Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you? Email me at email@example.com.