November is the best month to plan and prepare for the new year. December is consumed by holidays, parties, and things winding down. January tends to find people hibernating, lower energy, and not picking up the pace until the month is almost over. November is the best time to set clear goals for hitting the ground running in 2023.
Steps to set your team up for success in November:
- Set aside a few hours of uninterrupted time. Think about how the year has gone. What have you and your department learned? How will this influence your plans?
- Write down goals for 2023.
- Consider what foundations you need in place to support your plans.
- Talk to your ASE member advisor to determine resources that can help you achieve your goals.
- Break it down into manageable processes and assign tasks or projects to staff or departments.
- Put the goals somewhere where the team can access it..
Getting planning done and out of the way in November means that:
- Your team will have an actual plan of action and know EXACTLY what they need to do and allow time to communicate any questions or prepare.
- Your team will not feel under pressure, so you can create a well thought-out plan without the rush.
- Your team will be one step ahead and can fully enjoy December and the wind down.
- Your team will be able to maximize the full 12 months of 2023.