The purpose of this training is to provide attendees with guidance about the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) relevant state privacy laws and how to comply with them.
CEUs: .40 (3.5 Clock Hrs)
Objectives: This course will provide guidance on HIPAA, generally, and how it applies to employers. Participants will learn about HIPAA’s application, when protected health information may be used and disclosed, and what safeguards must be in place to protect against unintentional uses and disclosures of protected health information.
Who should attend: HR personnel, privacy officers, supervisors, managers
Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Explain HIPAA, what it means, and its general requirements
- Identify general exceptions to HIPAA’s prohibition on the disclosure of protected health information
- Identify safeguards that must be in place to protect against unintentional uses and disclosures of protected health information
- Define “breach” and understand the steps that must be taken if a breach occurs
- List the documents that are required for a HIPAA-compliant organization